Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Push, Pull, Pat - - PITA!

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”


I tried my hand at something new today. I recently decided to try and eat a bit healthier...a little less bread, more veggies and fruit. So I have switched to low-calorie flat breads and pitas. But after realizing that I could buy a loaf of bread for $1.27 and 5 pitas cost me $2.14 I had to do something different. So I pulled out the flour, sugar, salt, oil, yeast, and water and went to work.



Now you might say that is a tad on the drastic side to save money. But I grew up in the kitchen with my mom. We used to make homemade bread all the time. Not only was it cheaper that way, it tasted SOOOOO much better! I figured that pitas wouldn't be easy to make, but they actually surprised me. A bit time consuming...yes. But they're not that hard! I mixed up the dough and kneaded it, then left it to rise for 3 hours. After that all I had to do was knead it out and bake it.



4 minutes on the first side, and they poof up (at least, they're supposed to!) and then it's 2 min on the other side. All of this at a high temperature of 500 degrees. I'm sure with practice I will perfect the art of pita making. My first time, about every other one came out right. They didn't always poof up, but they taste great and I can cut them open! Needless to say, I will not be spending $2.14 on 5 pitas when I have the ability to make them myself. Next batch will be whole wheat!

1 comment:

  1. We should research how to make whole wheat LOW CARB pita's - even less calories! Lol! Good for you for trying something new!

    ReplyDelete