Thursday, January 19, 2012

Believe in what your heart is saying...


Reliable: Capable of being relied on; dependable.
Trustworthy: Deserving of trust or confidence; dependable; reliable.
Dependable: Trustworthy and reliable.


What does it mean to be a trustworthy person? What does it mean to be a reliable person? What does it mean to be dependable? What would your defintion be?

I find it a little crazy that the three words that are most important to me when it comes to friendships and relationships are all synonyms. I picked three words that all define each other!

I'm the type of person who trusts a little too much at first. I used to think of myself as a person who trusted very little, but the more I think about it the more I realize that I trust wayyyy too much at first! There's a little detail about trust though...once it's broken - it's hard to get back. And when it comes to me, it's almost impossible for you to gain my trust after you've lost it. Any lie, or any promise broken is a loss of trust.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you”

Then there is the whole dependable/reliable issue. This is where most people in my life seem to fail. If I say I'm going to do something, I stick with the plan. Unless something drastic happens - I will adhere to the plan. One thing that will push me away faster than anything else is a person who cannot be relied on for anything. Don't tell me one thing and do another. I will ignore things for a long time, but if the back and forth keeps happening, it will finally irritate me enough to push me back away from you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, all in all - I'm a pretty easy going person. Here lately though, I feel like I have no one reliable in my life, no one that I trust. I don't mean that I have no friends or people around...I just have no one that I completely, 100% trust anymore. It upsets me to realize that, but at the same time - it's almost a reality check for me. I'm learning to trust myself, and myself only. I'm learning to rely on myself, and myself only.

I love coming home at night - there are four things I can depend on...a golden retriever craving any ounce of attention, a collie who just wants to be near me, one cat curled up at my feet, and another one wanting to be held. These are my realities, these are my dependables.

“Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment