Wednesday, September 21, 2011

11 or 12? The Choice Is Yours!


"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present and make it beautiful so it will be worth remembering."


I've always heard that you use more muscles when you frown so you should smile cause it takes less effort. I guess that all depends on which website you look at. According to straightdope.com it takes 11 muscles to frown and 12 to smile. So why not use that one extra muscle to smile you ask? Because it's human nature to do the easier of the two, which is frowning (less muscles).

The other day I got to thinking, "Who is the happiest person I know?" The answer didn't take long to surface in my mind. It's easy for some people to act like life is all rainbows and sunshine, that they do no wrong, their children and spouse are perfect, and their world is a little peek into heaven - but every other person on the planet is looking at those people going, "Yeah right!" The person that I'm thinking of takes on a different view. They admit that their life isn't perfect and their world is not all rainbows and sunshine, yet they remain upbeat about it. They don't let life's struggles pull their outlook down.

I once asked them the question I ask so many people, "Is life how you pictured it would be a few years ago?" The typical responses I get are, "Not at all" or "Good Lord no!" This person said, "Yeah, pretty much." They're content with where they are and what they have. I want to learn that contentment. To be able to say, "The car is having issues, bills aren't getting paid, work is awful - but things are going to look up soon for me, I just know it!" There's so much going on in my life that could easily bring me down, frustrate me, or make me want to throw in the towel on things. But I don't want to be like everyone else...I want to be the person who stands out in everyone's mind as a happy person.

Sure, life is going to throw curve balls, but I don't want to spend my life on the ground dodging them. I want to learn how to catch them so that the next one can't catch me off guard. Life is whatever we make of it. We can choose to let it drag us down, or we can choose to stare it down until no problem can scare us! I'll never have it perfectly together, no one will, but I want to be able to say that when everything around me is going wrong I'm going to be better soon...and mean every single word!


"You won't realize the distance you've walked until you take a look around and realize how far you've come!"


1 comment:

  1. I so desperately want to be there as well. I want to be able to smile and remain joyful no matter how crappy things may seem. I've really been trying to concentrate lately on how good I have it compared to so many people. Sure, I don't have everything I want or wish to have but in due times those things will come or I'll realize I didn't need them in the first place. I want people to be able to think of me as a happy, upbeat person.

    ReplyDelete