Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Color Me Cotton Candy




“Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes with the sharpeners on the back. I fancy myself to be a 64-color box, though I've got a few missing. It's ok though, because I've got some more vibrant colors like periwinkle at my disposal. I have a bit of a problem though in that I can only meet the 8-color boxes. Does anyone else have that problem? I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation.. so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type.. I'm like, "hey girl, magenta!" and she's like, "oh, you mean purple!" and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, "no - I want magenta!"” - John Mayer



Have you ever wondered when we will be satisfied with what we have?
The answer is never.
It is human nature to want what we can't have or to want more than we have. We spend our whole lives working harder and harder to have all that we want instead of just focusing on what we really need.

I found something rather interesting and had to share. Did you know that since 1903, Crayola has created 133 colors? Although some are just ones that have been renamed, they've still managed to come up with 133 colors! What ever happened to the days when the standard R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. was enough? Out of 133 colors, 13 have been retired.

Crayola distributes their crayons in two packs for restaurants, all the way up to 832 - bulk packs for schools. In 2006, they introduced the 150 telescope pack which has 118 regular colors, 16 Metallic FX, and 16 Glitter Crayons in it.

Can you imagine being a company like Crayola and constantly having to create something bigger or better just so people will keep wanting to buy your products? I guess in reality we are like that. We are constantly striving for something bigger or better than what we already have. Why is it that it's so hard for us to just be content in life?

Another thing that struck me as crazy is that because of today's society the color "flesh" had to be changed to "peach" and "Indian Red" had to be changed to chestnut, even though it referred to a pigment in Indian culture and not the people. Really?!? We have to change the name of a color so it won't offend someone? They're CRAYONS! I bet if someone had told all of this to Edward Binney and Harold Smith in 1903 they would have said, "There's no way that will happen!"

My question is, how do you pick a favorite color or even a top ten when there are 133 colors? I sat down to look at and discover the many shades of Crayola colors and picked out my top ten.


Blush
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Jazzberry Jam
Screamin' Green
Sunset Orange
Unmellow Yellow
Wild Watermelon
Mango Tango
Inchworm
and of course
Cotton Candy!

1 comment:

  1. All the colors you like are so summery and fresh! I would probably pick black and browns! Lol! I'm dull like that. Seriously though this is such a great post and I couldn't agree more - we will never be satisfied, even if we get to the next level we're trying to achieve right now there will be something wrong with that and we'll be trying for the next. Not that trying is wrong but when it consumes you and leaves you grouchy and frustrated all the time it's not worth it. And I loved that "thing" by John Mayer, I thought you had written it at first!

    ReplyDelete