Tuesday, September 20, 2011

переводчик

I've spent the last two nights (literally all night - 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.) listening to Russians speaking back and forth. I wanted to scream one of the only Russian words I know - переводчик (perevodchik) - INTERPRETER!


Ok, a little background is needed. The store that I work for was having the floors redone - stripped and then re-waxed. So for two nights I stayed at work while the two Russian men redid the floors.


It got me thinking - there is such a difference between my language and theirs. From my dad being involved in ministry in Eastern Europe I picked up on some of what they were saying, but for the most part it was just another foreign language to me. I've always wanted to learn other languages. If I could pick up three languages I would choose Russian, French, and Spanish.


It's frustrating trying to understand someone from another country. You feel embarrassed because a lot of times you have to ask them to repeat stuff for you. I hear a lot of people get mad and complain that the foreign people should learn to speak English. Although I do agree with them to some extent, I also have to take another viewpoint - if I was moving to their country, how would I feel? I'd feel nervous trying to learn their language, I would hope that they would be understanding with me as I tried to master their language.


I started taking note of the similarities I could see. I thought their language sounded all ran together, but ours probably sounds exactly the same to them. The problem is that we don't know where their words separate, but we know where ours do, so ours doesn't sound all run together. It was easy to tell when they started arguing or when they were joking around with each other. A lot of times, our facial expressions and our body language can convey what we are saying before our words do.


One of them spoke a little English - enough to communicate with me some. He introduced himself to me as Jan (pronounced John) when they first arrived at the store and I told him my name. During those two days he never had to ask my name a second time. I guess I found it interesting because I don't really have a common name and yet he remembered it without asking again. I couldn't begin to tell you what the second guys name was, although I'm pretty sure he introduced himself to me at some point.


I find it fun to figure out the ways that different countries are the same. It's easy to sit down and see how other countries are so different compared to America, but the similarities are what I find so fascinating. If there is one thing these past two nights brought to my attention, it is how very much I miss missions trips and ministry outreach with my family. Hearing the Russian language over the past two nights has reminded me of my one overseas trip in ministry with my dad so many years ago. I miss feeling like I am having an impact on peoples lives, I miss helping other people and sharing the love and peace that has so freely been given to me time and time again over the years.


Someday I hope to be in a place where I can begin doing missions trips again. I think that my heart is definitely drawn to doing missions work and helping those around me.

Isaiah 6:8 “Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment